Walking around the meticulously reconstructed Mackintosh House offers an intimate glimpse into the private living space of Glasgow’s most famous son, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and his artist-wife, Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh.
The couple lived at 78 Southpark Avenue (originally 6 Florentine Terrace) from 1906 to 1914. The house was demolished in the early 1960s, but the original fixtures were preserved and reassembled, complete with the contents, as an integral part of the Hunterian Art Gallery. Substantial alterations were made in 1906, as Mackintosh re-modeled the proportions and natural lighting of the Victorian end-of-terrace house. The principal interiors were decorated in his distinctive style.
The architects took pains to ensure that the sequence of rooms exactly reflects the original. That attention to detail even extends to the same views and effects of natural light, as 78 Southpark Avenue stood only some 100 metres away. The interiors have been furnished with the Mackintoshes' own furniture, all to Mackintosh's design and decorated as closely as possible to the original.