Glasgow is in west central Scotland. It’s Scotland’s largest city and is easily accessible from the rest of the UK and overseas by train, sea, road and air.
For the latest advice on travelling to Scotland during the COVID-19 pandemic, head to VisitScotland’s website.
Glasgow is well connected by train from across the UK by 2 main stations:
- Glasgow Central Station links Glasgow to the south
- Glasgow Queen Street Station operates routes mainly to Edinburgh and the north
To book tickets, visit scotrail.co.uk, tpexpress.co.uk and avantiwestcoast.co.uk. To view all available routes from across the UK, visit thetrainline.com.
If you’re planning a trip from London to Glasgow, check out the Caledonian Sleeper’s website and arrive refreshed after a comfortable overnight journey.
You can travel to Scotland by ferry from the major ports of Belfast and Larne in Northern Ireland. Ferries dock at Cairnryan in the southwest of Scotland, with a bus service taking passengers to the city centre in 2 hours 10 minutes.
You can also travel from mainland Europe. You can arrive in either:
- Hull in the northeast of England where it's around a 4 hours drive to the Scottish border.
- Newcastle, which is around a 2 hours 40 minutes drive from Glasgow.
Scotland has an extensive motorway road network. Glasgow is linked to the following places:
- Edinburgh with the M8
- England on the M74
- Stirling with the M80
- west coast of Scotland with the M77
For more information on Scotland’s road network, visit the Transport Scotland website.
Glasgow has 3 international airports nearby, with connections across the UK and the world:
- Glasgow Airport is the closest airport to the city centre. Catch the express bus service from outside the terminal and arrive in Glasgow in around 15 minutes. Visit glasgowairport.com for more information.
- Glasgow Prestwick Airport is 32 miles (51km) from Glasgow. It is very accessible with train and bus services to the city centre. Find out more at glasgowprestwick.com.
- Edinburgh Airport is 39 miles (63km) from Glasgow. There is a direct bus service from the airport to Glasgow’s Buchanan Bus Station which takes around 1 hour. Head to edinburghairport.com for more information.
Article last updated: July 2022