Glasgow is in west central Scotland. It’s Scotland’s largest city and is easily accessible from the rest of the UK and overseas by train, sea, road and air.
Glasgow is well connected by train from across the UK by 2 main stations:
- Glasgow Central Station links Glasgow to the south
- Glasgow Queen Street Station operates routes mainly to Edinburgh and the north
If you’re planning a trip from London to Glasgow, check out the Caledonian Sleeper’s website and arrive refreshed after a comfortable overnight journey.
Travelling to Scotland by ferry from the major ports of Belfast and Larne in Northern Ireland is a popular option for Irish visitors to Glasgow. Ferries dock at Cairnryan in the south west of Scotland, and there is a handy bus service which takes passengers to the city centre in around 2 hours 10 minutes.
You can also travel from mainland Europe to Hull in the north east of England, around 4 hours drive to the Scottish border, and to Newcastle, around 2 hours 40 minutes drive from Glasgow.
Scotland has an extensive motorway road network. Glasgow is linked to Edinburgh with the M8, England on the M74, Stirling with the M80 and the west coast of Scotland with the M77.
For more information on Scotland’s road network, visit the Transport Scotland website.
View this post on Instagram A post shared by Glasgow Airport ✈️ (@gla_airport)
Glasgow has 3 international airports nearby, with connections across the UK and the world:
- Glasgow Airport is the closest airport to the city centre. Catch the express bus service from outside the terminal and arrive in Glasgow in around 15 minutes. Visit glasgowairport.com for more information.
- Glasgow Prestwick Airport is 32 miles (51km) from Glasgow and has handy public transport links to the city centre, including train and bus services. Find out more at glasgowprestwick.com.
- Edinburgh Airport is 39 miles (63km) from Glasgow. There is a direct bus service from the airport to Glasgow’s Buchanan Bus Station which takes around 1 hour. Head to edinburghairport.com for more information.
Article last updated: September 2021