Cycling in Glasgow
Cycling in Glasgow
There are many ways to get involved in cycling in the city. From attending world-class cycling events to getting around the city on two wheels - check out our guide to cycling in Glasgow.
World's biggest cycling event comes to Glasgow
This is an exceptional year for sport in Glasgow as the city holds the title of European City of Sport 2023 and hosts the UCI World Cycling Championships. The event, taking place August 3-13 will bring together 13 different cycling disciplines into one major championship. Secure tickets to the world's biggest ever cycling event by visiting cyclingworldchamps.com to book tickets.
Glasgow is home to a fantastic cycle hire scheme, operated by OVO Bikes. Bike hire is available 24/7 from many locations across the city, visit OVO Bikes’ website for information on how to get started.
For a handy guide on where to find OVO Bike Hire stations, bike racks and cycle routes, visit Glasgow City Council's GIS Map. Here you can click on icons to find the nearest hire points or use the search bar.
A cycling tour is a great eco-friendly way to tour around the compact city of Glasgow. Visit the Glasgow Bike Tours website or check out Gallus Pedals website to see the range of tours, taking in everything from charming neighbourhoods to craft beer breweries. Their routes are designed to take in good cycling surfaces and are suitable for a range of fitness levels.
Cycle routes in Glasgow
- With over 300km of cycleways in the city, visit the Glasgow City Council website for useful information on cycling in the city.
- For ideas of the best city routes to follow by bike, check out these routes from Smarter Travel Glasgow.
- OVO Bikes have teamed up with 12 independent and sustainable businesses to create a special cycle route. Check out where to visit on the OVO Bikes green route map.
Looking for something a bit more adventurous? Glasgow has plenty of activities involving bikes.
- Chris Hoy Velodrome - This venue may have had the best indoor cyclists in the world cycle the track, but it is open for all to enjoy. Visit glasgowlife.org.uk to book an introductory session.
- Cathkin Braes Mountain Bike Trails - over 9km of mountain bike trails with great city views. Visit glasgow.gov.uk for more info.
- Glasgow BMX Centre - Home to Scotland’s only Olympic standard BMX track, for an induction session (which includes safety equipment and a BMX bike), visit glasgowlife.org.uk.
Bike shops in Glasgow
There are lots of independent retailers throughout the city, whether you need a new bike or the smallest of parts. Check out billybilslandcycles.co.uk, bikeforgood.org.uk, or philiplangcycles.co.uk.
Article last updated: March 2023