COVID-19: Given the ongoing COVID-19 crisis please follow the latest guidance from the Scottish Government website and stay safe. Due to these circumstances, please note the information on this website is subject to significant change
Although not open to the public, the Martyrs’ School has a special place in the Mackintosh collection because it stands on Parson Street, where the man himself was born in 1868. The red sandstone building, once set in the middle of a densely populated area of tenements, is now rather isolated above the main road, just 5 minutes walk from Glasgow Royal Infirmary.
When the “Martyrs’ Public School” was commissioned in 1895, the local architect firm Honeyman & Keppie, for whom Mackintosh worked as a senior assistant, received the brief to construct a school to accommodate 1000 pupils. 20 years after the inauguration of the Education Act in Scotland in 1872, the authorities established a design convention for new schools across Glasgow, a convention that Mackintosh adhered to in his own design. All schools were to be symmetrical, with separate entrances for boys and girls. Martyrs’ School is almost symmetrical, apart from a chimney on the southern side, and has Mackintosh’s distinctive Art Nouveau features around the windows and doorways.