21 things to do in Glasgow this Christmas
21 things to do in Glasgow this Christmas
With shopping, events and fantastic places to eat and drink, here is our guide to the top 21 things to do in Glasgow this Christmas.
Things to do
1. Start to feel all Christmassy with a trip to the city centre to enjoy our festive trail. Take in the magical lighting, iconic shopping spots and indulge in some tasty treats.
2. Enjoy a warming Glühwein, shop for gifts and soak up the joyous atmosphere at the St Enoch Square Christmas Market until December 23. Find out more on Glasgow Life's website.
3. From December 1 until January 2, see iconic city centre buildings magically lit up at Glasgow Illuminated. Admire the installations at the City Chambers, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, Buchanan Galleries and The Buck’s Head Building at St Enoch Centre from 4pm daily. Find out more at glasgowlife.org.uk.
4. Dance your way around the city on a festive silent disco walking tour with Silent Adventures. Book your space at silentadventures.co.uk.
View this post on Instagram A post shared by @myfleetingvision
5. Get rosy cheeks with a stroll on a crisp, winters day. Take a look at our guide to the top 5 winter walks in Glasgow.
6. Book to see a show at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, with the likes of Santa’s Pyjama Party by Funbox or a magical screening of the festive classic, The Snowman, accompanied by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. Check out what’s on at glasgowconcerthalls.com.
7. Join in the virtual Beatson Santa Dash by running, walking or cycling 5k anytime from December 11 to 18. Sign up at beatsoncancercharity.org.
8. Head to the Ice Experience at Elfingrove and take a twirl on Scotland’s biggest ice rink on the grounds of Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Book tickets at itison.com.
9. See a classic festive film at the Glasgow Film Theatre. Check out what’s on at glasgowfilm.org.
10. Enrol the little ones in Princes Square's Elf School and enjoy a couple of hours to yourself. Find out more on Princes Square's website.
Credit: The King's Theatre
12. From December 22 to January 16, take family and friends to the IRN-BRU Carnival, Europe’s largest indoor funfair. Head to irn-bru-carnival.co.uk to buy tickets.
13. Get crafty, buy artisan gifts and enjoy food demonstrations at the Country Living Christmas Fair, taking place from December 2 – 5. Book tickets on the Country Living Fair’s website.
14. Make a day of it and head into the city centre to shop for presents and festive treats. You’ll find a solution to every gift dilemma with big shopping malls Princes Square, Buchanan Galleries and St Enoch Centre, alongside the best high street stores. Read our guide to high street shopping in Glasgow to find out more.
15. Browse unique gifts at the Merchant Square Craft Fair, taking place every Saturday and Sunday until December 12. Find out more information on the Merchant Square website.
View this post on Instagram A post shared by Pamela’s Life of Wellness (@pamelaslifeofwellness)
16. Add some sparkle to your Christmas and marvel at more than 30 jewellers and diamond merchants with a visit to Argyll Arcade. See the stores available at argyll-arcade.com.
17. Support local artists, creators and makers this Christmas by buying gifts from one of Glasgow’s many independent stores. Check out our guide to independent shopping in Glasgow for inspiration.
Eat, drink and be merry
View this post on Instagram A post shared by WEST on the Green (@westonthegreen)
18. Head to one of the city’s many cosy pubs for a warming tipple. Read about some of our favourites in our cosy pubs' guide.
19. Looking to try somewhere new? Check out our guide to the top 10 newest places to eat and drink in Glasgow.
View this post on Instagram A post shared by Mackintosh at the Willow (@mackintoshatthewillow)
20. Indulge in an afternoon tea this Christmas with many places offering special festive options. Whittle down the options of where to go with our article on the best places to visit for this 3-tiered treat.
21. Fancy celebrating with a cocktail or mocktail? Glasgow’s hotels are home to some of the best bars in the city and welcome residents and visitors alike. Check out our picks of the top 12 hotel bars.
Article last updated: November 2021